Sunday, January 21, 2007

Creating defective children?

Few people would imagine that in the future you could pay to heve a defective child. Some disabled parents are paying clinics to select children with disabilities like them.

For example, a dwarf couple paying for a dwarf kid. Sound like science fiction? It is happening now and in the future we may have more parents selecting children who are not normal.

But who are we to determine what is normal? Well, I do not need a time machine to go to the future to tell you that the child will not be happy when they see themselves limited by a foolish choice made by their parents.

I can tell you that congenital deafness exists in my family and I do not wish it on anyone, especially my child. The procedure is called preimplantation genetic diagnosis, or PGD and costs $15,000.

0 comments: