Thursday, November 17, 2005

Typical conversation heard in astral time travel.

In one of my jumps to the future I saw myself working for one of those MEGAMONSTER giant corporations. I was trying to prevent massive layoffs. Here is the conversation.


Let me explain to you that executives are constantly talking about making cuts, always saying that they have to cut costs. Yes, always saying that they have to make dramatic drastic decisions that involve great sacrifice. They always have to “re-adjust” your pay - notice it is always in a downward direction. Their rationale is that this is necessary in order to save the company and yet I never see them cut their own salary, and I never see them reduce their own benefits. In fact what I see is that they constantly increase their own salary and increase the number and kinds of benefits which they receive.

I asked the executive "What is necessary for the company to survive?" His answer was "SIMPLE {get rid of the union, cut pay, less overhead}" Now, reduce overhead, means simply, well, - cut workers pay.

He also said that it was very very important that we get rid of the union. My question to him was “Why do we have to get rid of the union?” He said that to cut workers pay we needed to get rid of the union. I told him that most workers were already making the minimum wage and barely scraping by.

He answered “I run a business not a charity!” I replied “So basically your entire thesis for how to save the company is by cutting workers pay? He nodded. I added “Well, if that is so important then how about we cut your pay?” He changed the subject and said “W-we gotta cut costs and then make more cuts. I then asked him “How can we could cut the salaries of people who are already making the minimum wage?” He said that “We gotta OUTSOURCE, move the work offshore to countries were human capital make 50¢ an hour.” For second I thought he said “Human Cattle”.

Pausing for a moment I then came back with “Well, if we do that then there will not be any people left in our country to buy our products.” He shot back “I don’t care! That’s their problem. MY problem is me making money and I gotta make some cuts…

0 comments: